The Knight-Hennessy Scholars program at Stanford University cultivates a diverse, multidisciplinary community of future leaders from around the world and guides them as they prepare to confront society’s challenging concerns. Scholars will enhance their knowledge, acquire skills, and strengthen their character through community activities, workshops, meetings with leaders, domestic and global study excursions, and personal development opportunities through the King Global Leadership Program.
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars come from all seven schools at Stanford. Knight-Hennessy Scholars are gifted individuals who belong to an interdisciplinary community of scholars. The program provides a framework for intentional leadership development and equips you to make a large-scale beneficial impact on the world.
Stanford University in USA
Level/Field(s) of study:
Full-time Masters and PhD degrees in any subject offered at Stanford (for example, but not limited to, DMA, JD, MA, MBA, MD, MFA, MPP, MS, or PhD) with some exceptions:
- Applicants to the Honors Cooperative Program
- Applicants to the Master of Liberal Arts
Applicants to the Doctor of Science of Law (JSD)
- Current Stanford students applying for coterminal graduate study
- Current Stanford PhD students adding an MA or MS degree in their current discipline
Number of Scholarships:
Applicants from all countries – there are no restrictions based on citizenship, age, field of study, career aspiration, etc.
Scholarship amount, inclusions, and duration:
Knight-Hennessy scholars get up to three years of financing for any graduate degree(s) at Stanford.
Knight-Hennessy Scholars get the following benefits throughout their first three years of graduate study:
- a fellowship directly sought for to pay tuition and associated fees
- a stipend to cover living and academic expenses (for example, accommodation and board, books, academic supplies, instructional materials, local transportation, and appropriate personal expenses).
- a travel allowance to cover an economy-class ticket to and from Stanford once each year.
Additional funds for specific years:
- Newly enrolled scholars receive a one-time relocation payment to help defray some of the costs involved with moving to the area and/or purchasing technology.
- Scholars in their second and third years are eligible to apply for supplementary grants to support academic enrichment activities (for example, conference travel).
There are two basic eligibility criteria.
To begin, in addition to applying to Knight-Hennessy Scholars (KHS), you must apply to, be accepted by, and enroll in a full-time Stanford graduate degree program, such as the DMA, JD, MA, MBA, MD, MFA, MPP, MS, or PhD.
You must fulfill at least one of the following four requirements:
- You are applying to KHS and a full-time Stanford graduate degree program separately but concurrently, so that you can begin both in the same year.
- You have already been offered and deferred admission to a full-time Stanford graduate degree program, and you plan to apply to KHS in the same year.
- You are a current Stanford graduate student who wishes to add a second full-time Stanford graduate degree program, beginning both KHS and the new program in the same year.
- You are a current Stanford PhD student in your first year of enrollment, and you plan to apply to KHS in your second year of PhD enrollment.
- Second, you must have received a U.S. bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a recognized college or university in January 2017 or later.
- To be eligible for the 2024 cohort, you must have earned a bachelor’s degree by January 2017 or later.
Instructions for use:
To be considered for the scholarship, you must apply to both the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program and your Stanford graduate degree program independently and concurrently.
The application deadline for your Stanford graduate degree program varies by program.You must verify the website of your selected program to confirm the application deadline, which is generally sooner.
The Knight Hennesy Program deadline is October 11, 2023, at 1:00 p.m. Pacific Time.
[epcl_button label=”Apply Now” url=”https://knight-hennessy.stanford.edu/” type=”outline” color=”green” size=”regular” icon=”” target=”_blank” rel=”dofollow”][/epcl_button]